Food Science & Technology Quiz (31/07/2021)
Q1. Which among the following is a dry procedure for cleaning raw materials?
B. Floatation washing
C. Ultrasonic cleaning
D. Air classifiers
ANSWER – D. Air classifiers
READ MORE – FOOD TECHNOLOGY (31/05/2021)
- Explanation – Dry cleaning procedure is used for smaller products, has greater mechanical strength, and possesses a lower moisture content. Air classifiers use a moving stream of air to separate contaminants from foods by differences in their densities. The dry procedure for cleaning raw materials is Air classifier.
Q2. The sum of the resistance to heat flow is termed as _________?
A. Steady-state conduction
B. Unsteady state heat transfer
C. Overall heat transfer coefficient (OHTC)
D. Unsteady state conduction
ANSWER: C. Overall heat transfer coefficient (OHTC)
READ MORE – FOOD TECHNOLOGY (01/07/2021)
- Explanation: In most cases of heat transfer in food processing, heat is transferred through a variety of materials. The overall heat transfer coefficient is the sum of all heat flow resistances (OHTC). The OHTC is an important term that is used, for example, to indicate the effectiveness of heating or cooling in different types of processing equipment.
Q3. In the ______ method, food is fed onto carborundum rollers or placed into a rotating bowl, which is lined with carborundum.
A. Flash steam peeling
B. Knife peeling
C. Abrasion peeling
D. Flame peeling
ANSWER – C. Abrasion peeling
READ MORE – FOOD TECHNOLOGY (11/07/2021)
- Explanation– Abrasion peeling involves feeding the material to be peeled onto carborundum rollers or into a rotating bowl lined with carborundum. The skin is removed by the abrasive carborundum surface, which is then rinsed away with plenty of water. Normally, the procedure is carried out at room temperature.
Q4. In caustic peeling, a dilute solution of_______ is heated to 100–120ºC.
A. Sodium hydroxide
B. Calcium hydroxide
C. Potassium permanganate
D. Sulphuric acid
ANSWER: A. Sodium hydroxide
READ MORE – FOOD TECHNOLOGY (21/07/2021)
- Explanation: A dilute solution of sodium hydroxide (called lye) is heated to 100–120ºC in caustic peeling. Food is run into a bath of 1–2% lye, which softens the skin, and then the skin is removed with high-pressure water sprays. In dry caustic peeling, the softened skin is removed with rubber discs or rollers after the food has been dipped in 10% sodium hydroxide.
Q5. _________ is the removal of insoluble solids from a suspension (or ‘feed slurry’) by passing it through a porous material.
ANSWER – B. Filtration
READ MORE – FOOD TECHNOLOGY (30/07/2021)
- Explanation – Filtration is a technique for removing minute amounts of solid particles from liquids (such as wine, beer, oils, and syrups). When a suspension of particles is passed through a filter, the first particles become trapped in the filter media, reducing the amount of liquid that can flow through the filter. This increases the resistance to fluid flow and a higher pressure difference is needed to maintain the flow rate of filtrate.
Connect with us on telegram for future updates – Click Here