Food Science & Technology Quiz (07-12-2021)
Q1. _____ is a major technique used for vegetable proteins to form dry fibrous and porous granules or chunks.
- Thermal coagulation
- Fibre formation
- Thermoplastic extrusion
- Film formation
ANSWER: C. Thermoplastic extrusion
- Explanation: Thermoplastic extrusion is a method for producing vegetable proteins. It produces dry fibrous and porous granules or chunks with a chewy feel when rehydrated. Protein isolates are not required as a starting material; 45-70 percent protein can be utilized instead. As such, casein or gluten can be introduced. The final texture is improved by adding a tiny quantity of starch. The texture is also firmed by the addition of 3% NaCl.
READ MORE – Food Science & Technology Quiz (07-11-2021)
Q2. A colloidal dispersion of gas bubbles in a continuous liquid or semisolid phase that contains a soluble surfactant are ________ foods.
- Fresh milk
ANSWER: C. Foam
- Explanation – Foam foods typically consist of a colloidal dispersion of gas bubbles in a continuous liquid or semisolid phase including a soluble surfactant. (A surfactant is a chemical substance that serves as a surface modifier, lowering the liquid’s surface tension.) Cakes, whipped creams and toppings, ice creams, and other culinary foams made with proteins are available in a broad range of textures.
READ MORE – Food Science & Technology Quiz (17-11-2021)
Q3. Highly soluble proteins are used in?
- Film formation
- All of the above
ANSWER – D. All of the above
Explanation: The solubility behavior of proteins is a reliable indicator of their possible applicability. High-solubility proteins can be used in applications that need emulsification, whipping, and film formation, whereas low-solubility proteins can be used in applications that require minimal emulsification or protein-protein interactions.
READ MORE – Food Science & Technology Quiz (27-11-2021)
Q4. The main single factor influencing the viscosity behavior of protein fluids is?
- Amino acid profile
- Diameter of the dispersed molecule
- None of the above
ANSWER: C. Diameter of the dispersed molecule
- Explanation: Viscosity is a measure of flow resistance. The apparent diameter of the dispersed molecule, which is determined by parameters such as the intrinsic character of the protein molecule, environmental factors, protein solvent interaction, and protein-protein interactions, is the most important single factor influencing the viscosity behavior of protein fluids.
READ MORE – FOOD TECHNOLOGY (07/09/2021)
Q5. _______ refers to the process where denatured molecules aggregate to form an ordered protein network.
ANSWER: B. Gelation
- Explanation – Denatured molecules assemble to create an organized protein network during the gelation process. By regulating protein-protein and protein-solvent interactions in food items, proteins can generate a well-ordered gel matrix. Other culinary components, such as gelatin, yoghurt, comminuted meat products, tofu, and bread doughs, can be held in these gel matrices for making food items.
READ MORE – Food Science &Technology Quiz (06-12-2021)
Connect with us on LinkedIn for future updates – Click here